TWO MEN AND A TRUCK – Oshawa understands that moving can be stressful. Here is a handy checklist to help you in the moving process.
- Reserve your truck a month in advance to ensure you get the date and time you prefer.
- If you live in an apartment or condo, ensure to reserve an elevator time. Consult your local moving company on advice for how long you should book it for.
- Check with your local municipality on whether you need to get a special parking permit for the moving truck out front of your home or building. Any parking tickets accrued are the responsibility of the homeowner.
- Consider whether or not you want to pack yourself, or hire someone to do it for you. How much work it takes to pack can be deceiving when everything is tucked away in cupboards and closets.
- Ensure that you buy new moving boxes, used boxes can be easily crushed and are often dirty. Storage totes are also handy.
- Plan a garage sale to help downsize items you dont need at your new house or donate to charity.
- Make a survival bag with items you will need on the day of the move; wallet, new and old keys, important documents, snack for the days adventure.
- Ensure not to disconnect electricity or your telephone until after your move. We might need to call if something were to come up.
- If you decide to pack yourself, make sure you label where you would like your boxes to go in the new house, it makes the unload go a lot smoother.
- If your appliances are coming, ensure to defrost the freezer the day before, and in the morning disconnect any water lines to the refrigerator and the washing machine and also the lint tube to the dryer.
- If your moving company has not called you to confirm arrival time the day before, give them a quick call to confirm so there are no surprises the morning of.
- And last but not least, don’t forget to say goodbye to your neighbours!
Follow some of these simple steps, and your move should go smooth! Check back soon for more tips and tricks!